Lesson 9 – What is the Gospel?
We saw in the last lesson that some are going to heaven and some are going to hell. How does a person get right with God, so that he may go to heaven when he dies? The answer is found in the Gospel.
1. The Bible says, “For I am not ashamed of the ________ of _______: for it is the power of God unto ____________ to every one that
believeth, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” Romans 1:16
What is the Gospel? There are many ideas in this world pertaining to what the Gospel is. But we need to find out what GOD says the Gospel is.
Romans 1:16 tells us that the Gospel is the power of God unto _______________. This Gospel is the only thing powerful enough to give a man salvation and bring him into a real relationship with God!
2. The Bible says, “For Christ sent me not to _________, but to preach the __________.” I Corinthians 1:17.
Paul is saying that there is a difference between baptism and the Gospel; they are not the same thing! If the Gospel and baptism are not the same thing, then must a man be baptized to have a relationship with God?___________
3. The Bible says, “Moreover brethren, I declare unto you the _______ which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are ________, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ _______ for our _______ according to the ___________, And that he was _______, and that he _______ again the third day according to the ____________.” I Corinthians 15:1-4
The Gospel is the good news that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again from the dead!
Notice, it says in verse 3 that He died for our _______ . Jesus paid the penalty for your sins when He died on the cross, so that you could be saved.
4. Notice, it also says in verse 3 that He died for our sins, __________ to the ___________.
The Scriptures described what the Savior that God had promised to send into the world would be like. Jesus Christ is the only One who perfectly fulfills over 300 prophecies in the Scriptures!
Jesus Christ was the only One who was able to pay for our sins, because He is the only One who has never sinned! He was the Perfect Son of God. Yet He died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins! Why? Because He loved us!
5. The Bible says, “If I bear witness of _______, my witness is not true. There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true. Ye sent unto ______, and he bare witness unto the truth.” John 5:31-33
Who claimed to be the Messiah in verse 31?
Who declared Jesus to be the Messiah in verse 33?
6. The Bible says, “But I have a greater witness than that of John: for the ______ which the Father hath given me to finish, the same ______ that I do bear _______ of me, that the Father hath ______ me. And the ________ himself hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. Search the _________; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which ________ of ____.” John 5:36-39
What proved that Jesus was truly the Messiah in verse 36?
Who announced that Jesus was truly the Messiah in verse 37?
What does Jesus say that the Scriptures testify of in verse 39?
7. Jesus Christ proved that He was indeed the Messiah that had been prophesied all through the Old Testament, the One that would come to die for the sins of the world. He was indeed the _________ of _______ sent to die in our place (John 1:29)!
8. The Bible says, “For he hath made him to be ____ for us, who knew no sin, that ___ might be made the ______________ of God in him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21
In other words, Jesus Christ traded places with you. He offers to take your sins and to give you His righteousness. This is the gospel, the GOOD NEWS of Jesus Christ.
Jesus died for the sins of the world. But not all men are saved. How does a person become a child of God? How do we take the payment of Jesus Christ for our sins and make it personal? How can a person be born again? What should our response be to the gospel?
There are many different ideas in the world about how a person can be right with God. But it is important that we know what God says in His Word about how to be right with Him. We will look at the answers to those questions in the next lesson.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Type out the following questions and your answers to each question. Then send to:
Summary Questions – Lesson 9
1. According to what you have learned, what reason is given for the death of Jesus?
2. According to what you have learned, what does it mean that Jesus is the “Messiah”?
3. According to what you have learned, how does knowing that Jesus is the Messiah make His death for us necessary?
If you have a friend that would like to receive these lessons, send us an email or message to: