Lesson 3 – Man’s Response
1. What important question should all wise people ask? (John 18:38)
2. Jesus said in his prayer to God, “____ _______ is truth.” (John 17:17)
3. Jesus said: I am the way, the _________, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)
4. Jesus said that everyone who wants to follow the truth must listen to _______. (John 18:37)
5. If a person rejects Christ as Savior and Lord and rejects the words of Jesus now, what will the words of Jesus do in the day of judgment? (John 12:48)
6. The penalty of the sin of unbelief is ______. (John 8:24)
7. It is very important to know the truth because the truth shall _______ ______ ______ (John 8:32)
8. True freedom comes only through the _______. (John 8:36)
9. Jesus said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that ______ my _____, and _____ on him that sent me, ____ ______ ____, and shall not come into ______ but is passed from _____ unto _______.” (John 5:24)
10. God says, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23) We learned in Lesson One that all men are condemned because of _______.
11. We saw in Lesson two that God provided a solution to man’s problem of sin when He sent _____ ____ to die on the cross. (John 3:17)
God has a warning and a promise for sinful man. The Bible says:
“Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.” (Isaiah 55:7)
12. Find in the following verses the two things that Jesus commanded all men to do if they would enter into the kingdom of God.
“Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.” (Mark 1:14-15)
13. The Bible says in Romans 3:9, “We have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin.” God says that we are all under ________. Therefore, to be right with God, we must repent or turn from that sin.
14. In Job 42:6, Job repented before God. He said, “Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (Note: to abhor yourself means to hate what you are.) What kind of attitude did Job have about himself when he came to that place of repentance?
15. The Bible says in First Thessalonians 1:9, “Ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God.” When a person repents of his sin, what is he choosing to no longer serve?
16. According to Matthew 3:8, John the Baptist told the Pharisees, “Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance.” Did he expect to see a change in a person’s actions after they had repented of their sin?
Repentance is a result of understanding that you have broken the holy law of God and have offended Him and made Him your enemy. When you repent of your sin, you are choosing to hate your sin like God does and desiring that God would make you a different person so that you will not continue in your sin. Genuine repentance will be clearly seen by a changed life!
17. Not only must a person repent of sin, he must also ______ on Jesus as the only Savior. (John 3:18)
18. God promises eternal life to: (John 3:36)
_____ only those who are good enough.
_____ only those who believe in God’s Son.
(Which one is the correct answer?)
19. If I accept Jesus’ word and believe (John 5:24), what do I possess? And when do I receive it?
20. To become a member of God’s family, a person must ______ Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. (John 1:12)
Some will say, “I believe already.” However, the word believe as used in the Bible means more than a simple mental belief in certain facts or teachings. It means to trust in a PERSON with all your HEART.
To believe in JESUS CHRIST for salvation is something quite different from believing in a national hero. It is more than simply knowing or believing about Him. It is surrender of all of yourself to Him to save you from your sins and to be the Master of your life.
To BELIEVE means to come DIRECTLY and PERSONALLY to Jesus Christ for salvation!
In a nation that claims to be a Christian nation almost everyone believes in God and in Jesus. The Bible says that the devil believes also. Of course, he is not a Christian and he will not go to Heaven.
“Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.” (James 2:19)
The devil believes that there is a God. He believes that Jesus is God’s Son. But real belief that leads to salvation means completely trusting in Jesus as Savior and Lord. This means to surrender all of your life to Jesus as Lord of your life.
The believing that brings eternal life demands a personal, conscious commitment to Christ and His way.
21. Read again: John 1:12; John 3:15-16, 18, 36; John 5:24; John 8:12; and John 14:6. The object of faith (one believed in) in all these verses is only one person– Jesus Christ!
According to the Bible there is only one person who can give eternal life. Who is that Person?
“Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
Before going to the next lesson, memorize John 5:24.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Type out the following questions and your answers to each question. Then send to:
Summary Questions – Lesson 3
1. According to what you have studied, the one place we can find truth is the Bible. How does knowing that truth change the way you will live?
2. According to what you have studied, please explain what it means to repent of your sin.
3. According to what you have studied, please explain what it means to believe on Jesus Christ.
4. How is a faith that saves us from our sin different from the belief that the devil possesses?
If you have a friend that would like to receive these lessons, send us an email or message to: