Firm Foundation Bible Study
Lesson 20 – Consequences of Sin to the Woman.
In verse 14, we saw God’s judgment on the serpent. In verse 15, we saw God’s judgment on the devil. In this lesson, we will see God’s judgment on the woman.
Genesis 3:16 – “Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”
God is speaking to Eve, but this judgment is upon all women. If you remember, Eve was the one who had listened to the devil. She disobeyed God and then enticed her husband to disobey God.
To the woman, he said, “I will greatly multiply thy sorrow.” What does sorrow mean? It can mean sadness, grief, and pain.
God says that there will be pain in giving birth to children. Although there is often great joy at the coming of a child, there is also a sadness that comes to the woman.
With some mothers, a woman goes through a sorrowful period of time after giving birth. Medical doctors call it post-partum depression.
If a child dies before the mother, the sadness that she feels in her child’s death is greater than a man can understand.
There will be sadness in raising that child, because she will find that child will not be everything that she wants him to be. She will find that her children will be sinners who fail at times.
This failure brings sadness to the mother that is greater than even the father can understand.
Then God says, “Thy desire shall be to thy husband.” Desire means to want or long for. The woman will desire a husband that will treat her right and be the right kind of man.
But sadness will come into her life when she finds that he fails to meet her expectations.
Then God says that the husband will rule over the woman. Sometimes his control of the family can be a problem that will draw you apart, and on occasion, even end the marriage itself.
Many times the woman is looking for a man who will be able to fulfill all of her desires, but he will not be able to.
God put this judgment in the lives of women who experience sorrow in a deeper way than men in order for them to look to God instead of her husband and children for fulfillment in life.
Please answer the following questions and send them to us by Email, Facebook Messenger, or WhatsApp. If you pass, we will send you a link to the next lesson tomorrow. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Questions Lesson 20
1. According to Genesis 3:16, who is God speaking to? ______________
2. According to this lesson, sorrow can mean what three things?
3. According to the lesson, if a child dies before the mother does the sadness she feels in her child’s death is greater than a man can understand.
4. According to Genesis 3:16, God says there will be ________ in giving birth to children.
5. According to the lesson, she will have _________ in raising that child at times because she will find that the child will not be everything she wants him to be and find he will be a sinner who fails at times.
6. A woman will __________ a husband that will treat her right and be the right kind of man.
7. Sadness will come when she finds that her husband will fail to meet her expectations.
8. According to the Bible, God put this judgment in the lives of women so they will look to God instead of their husband or children for fulfillment in life.
If you have a friend that would like to receive these lessons, send us an email or message to: