Firm Foundation Bible Study
Lesson 09 – Where does evil come from?
The Bible is God’s communication to man. He is revealing truth to us that we cannot know any other way. That is why it is very important to study the Bible.
In Genesis 2:15, God has placed Adam in the Garden of Eden. Then God says:
Genesis 2:16-17 – “16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
In verse 16, God tells Adam that he may “freely eat” of every tree in the garden. God provided everything for man to live. He tells Adam that he could eat whenever he wanted.
However, in verse 17, the very first word God says is “But”. God says Adam could eat from every tree, but one tree. It was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
The meaning of the word knowledge is more than just to know something. It also means to know something by experience.
We will not take the time to study it now, but shortly after commanding Adam, God made the woman. Her name was Eve.
God told Adam not to eat from the tree called “the knowledge of good and evil”. Up to this point, Adam and Eve only experienced good.
They had not experienced evil, because there was no evil in the world God created. According to God’s design, man would only experience evil if he disobeyed God and ate the fruit.
Today, there are all kinds of evil in the world. What happened? We will study this in our next lesson, but in summary, Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate the fruit.
When they disobeyed, they soon experienced evil as a result of their bad choice. It is also the reason why evil is in the world today.
God warned Adam, “for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die”. Did Adam and Eve immediately die when they ate the fruit? Yes and No.
No, they did not immediately die physically. They lived for many years after. But, yes, there was a death that immediately took place when they ate the fruit.
This death that God is speaking about is something much worse than physical death. What does death mean? Death means separation. There are three aspects to this death.
1. This was a death of relationship with God. It was a separation from God. If they were to disobey God, they would be separated from God.
2. This separation from God would lead to physical death. Adam and Eve’s life came from God. So, being separated from the source of life would lead to physical death in the future.
3. If a man dies in this condition being separated from God, he will be separated from God for all eternity in Hell.
The good news is that although man is born into this world separated from God, God provided a way for man to reconnect with God and have a personal relationship with Him.
That is what the message of the Bible is all about.
Some people wonder why God put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden. Would it not have been better if He never put it there? The answer is that God gives man a choice.
He made man with the ability to make choices. Man could choose to obey God and experience the good or they could choose to disobey and bring evil into their life. It was their choice.
Please answer the following questions and send them to us by Email, Facebook Messenger, or WhatsApp. If you pass, we will send you a link to the next lesson tomorrow. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Questions Lesson 9
1. According to this lesson, the __________ is God’s communication to man.
2. According to this lesson, the Bible reveals truth to us that we cannot know any other way.
3. According to Genesis 2:16-17, Adam could eat the fruit from every tree in the garden.
4. According to this lesson, what was the name of Adam’s wife? __________
5. According to the Bible, before eating the fruit from the forbidden tree, Adam and Eve experienced evil and suffering.
6. According to this lesson, what does death mean? _____________
7. In Genesis 2:16-17, God told Adam that if he ate the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that he will surely die. What are the three aspects of this death?
a. Separation from ________
b. This separation from God would bring physical ______
c. If a man physical dies in this condition, he will be separated from God for all eternity in ______
8. According to the Bible, the good news is that although man is born into this world separated from God, God provided a way for man to come into a right relationship with Him.
If you have a friend that would like to receive these lessons, send us an email or message to: